I often talk about how how hard work and money aren’t related, and that you can really only work a few hours a day, or a few days a month and make good money.
…. and that thing is eating shit.
What do I mean by eating shit? Well, my friend Mak always says that you need to get good at eating shit in business.
Being rich and successful doesn’t mean you need to eat less shit, it means you need to eat MORE.
Think about Kim K, she’s rich, successful and beautiful, but she gets a whole load of shit. She has the paparazzi in her face, she has people calling her stupid, obnoxious, fat, people say the Kardashians are degrading our very fabric of society etc etc etc.
There are just some things you have to do in your business that you don’t always need to do as often in any other area of your working life, although people in work certainly need to eat shit too.
Eating shit may consist of:
- Working hard, for little to nothing, to get skills and experience and being somebody’s bitch for a few years before you can get what you need. 🤐 Often the jobs that look the best on your CV involve the most shit eating, just think of it that you’re starring in The Devil Wears Prada.
- Taking the entire rap for a failed project. No colleagues to blame it on, it’s all on you. Just eat it. 💩
- Having to fire or dismiss people, ouch.
- Being a boss means that your employees are probably going to think you’re a dick. 🍆 Most people hate their boss, let’s be real.
- Working on sales and proposals for free, unpaid, all night, not knowing if you’re going to get anything back from it. Salespeople get paid for their proposals and sales work, you don’t.
- The constant risk that at any point you could lose a high percentage (or all) of your income and have to build it all back up again fast.
- Not getting paid on time. Oh
it’s me again, with another reminder about your quote so I can eat something that isn’t ramen. 👋 heeeyyy
- Having to deal with customer complaints. That’s one thing when you’re a waitress in a cafe, but another thing when you OWN the cafe. I’m sorry, I tried! 😭
- Dealing with competitors being snakey. 🐍 Some are going to bad mouth you in order to steal work from you, it can get NASTY. But, it happens in the employed world just as much!
- Dealing with everyone in your life either not recognising that you are doing ok in your business. Most of the people around me seem to think that I’m unemployed, oh well, at least they don’t expect me to buy them a round.